Job Opening ID: 78706
Working Title: Information Manager
Job Title: Research Area Specialist Inter
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus, Ann Arbor, MI
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Group: College Of LSA
Department: LSA Biological Station
Posting Begin/End Date: 1/21/2013 – 2/15/2013
strong>Salary: $50,000.00 – $58,000.00
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter as the first page of your résumé.
The University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS) seeks to hire an Information Manager to implement a complete database management system. The UMBS is one of the oldest, continuously running research field stations in the country. It offers credit bearing courses, fosters undergraduate and graduate student research, and hosts interdisciplinary research on biosphere-climate interactions, biodiversity, field ecology and organismal biology.
- Implement policy for archiving data and metadata for all researchers at UMBS and establish guidelines for posting data and metadata online. Develop standards for archiving data (e.g., backing up, security, etc.). Develop and implement QA/QC procedures for data management to data sets.
- Update and implement a system for tracking current UMBS-based research projects and for organizing electronic material. Organize and archive historical data sets. Develop a strategy for prioritizing and archiving legacy data sets.
- Create user-friendly webpage interfaces for metadata/data collection and access. Manage information flow by logging and tracking data. Document and post data sets online (e.g., climate, lake chemistry, forest plots, site GIS). Conduct regularly scheduled data audits.
- Update and maintain application system used by researchers and student applicants, reviewers and administrators prior to admission to research programs.
- Coordinate information management efforts of a diverse population of students, researchers from multiple institutions. Provide training in information management for scientists and especially graduate students at UMBS. Conduct regular meetings with UMBS researchers to guide new information management goals with current policies and practices.
- Write and manage grants to federal agencies to acquire tools for data management to expand the UM Biological Station information program.
- Master's degree in one of the environmental sciences, information science or related field and 3 to 5 years related experience
- Working knowledge of Drupal CMS and ArcGIS software suite
- Experience with relational database design, creation, and maintenance
- Familiarity with common data and metadata standards
- Experience with website and form development
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to work easily with others
This position may be based at either the Ann Arbor or Pellston, MI campus, with a minimum of 8 weeks during the summer in Pellston at the Biological Station (located 260 miles north of Ann Arbor).
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.