Post-Doctoral Associate in Ecology Education Research
The Cary Institute is seeking a Postdoctoral Associate to conduct cutting edge research in ecology teaching and learning. This is a two year position with a preferred start date of June 2013. The postdoc will be part of the Baltimore Ecosystem Study Long Term Ecological Research project (www.beslter.org
The postdoc will take the lead in analyzing results of education research efforts in two NSF-supported projects:
1. Data Exploration in Ecology Project (DEEP): describing how students learn to do data- and evidence-based inquiry and critique in ecology; and how teachers adopt and adapt data exploration skills and teaching strategies in their classes. This is a Discovery Research K-12 (DRK-12) project taking place in NY.
2. Pathways to Environmental Science Literacy: exploring teacher learning and practices in implementing learning progression-based teaching strategies in middle and high school science classes. This is a Math Science Partnership (MSP) project taking place at sites in CA, CO, WY, MI, MD and NY.
The postdoc also will plan and implement research about professional development in and about the urban ecosystem of Baltimore as part of BES.
1. Ph.D. degree in education (preferred) or in a relevant field of natural or social science.
2. Research experience working with students and/or teachers in K-12 ducation, preferably at the middle or high school level.
3. Strong research, organizational, interpersonal and writing skills required, and strong analytical skills a plus.
To apply, send a cv, statement of interests in education research and practice, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three references to:
Human Resources Manager, Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Job Ref. #13005-I
PO Box AB, Millbrook, NY 12545
For more information about the position, contact: Dr. Alan R. Berkowitz,
(845) 677-7600 ext. 311, E-mail: BerkowitzA@caryinstitute.org
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will accept applications until the position is filled.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER--MIN/FEM/VET/DISAB